Call to Schedule a Consultation


Divorce, Children, Passports, and Travel Overseas

In order to travel outside the United States with your child, you need a passport not only for yourself, but for your child.   If you are divorced and you have joint legal custody of your child, both parents must consent to the issuance of a passport.   This can be a problem if you do not have a good relationship with your ex, and you want to go on vacation with your child outside the United States.

However, the parental consent requirements are designed to protect your child from parental kidnapping.  If you have reason to believe that your spouse is attempting to obtain a passport in your child’s name without your consent, you can enroll your child in the Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program.  By enrolling in this program, you will be notified if someone attempts to obtain a passport in your child’s name.  For more information, see:

Jennifer Moore

Provinus solutions